Jun 4, 2010

One Year Ago Today

One year ago today, this was my post:

Currently swallowing my sorrows in a bowl of frozen yougurt... a large bowl. Docs appt this morning confirmed what I already believed, nothing is happening. The doc couldn't even do a good "sweep" because of the position of my cervix. I'm so disappointed. I wanted to cry when she checked me, I could tell right away that it wasn't "good" news.

So, the plan of "attack" is as follows - Sunday morning we'll be admitted to outpatient "cervical ripening" (sounds like a party). They'll start with Cervidil, prostaglandin gel, to dilate my cervix. I'll be monitored for an hour to make sure baby is OK, then they kick me out for six hours after which I come back to see where we're at. If there's no change, they'll double the dose and try again. What happens next depends on how my body responds. The Cervidil could stimulate labour or I may have to get Pitocin (oxytocin), to simulate contractions. It's really frustrating and disappointing to have to be induced. I feel like I've done everything "right" my whole pregnancy and now my body's failing me. Sorry to whine, but it's just one of those days! I know once Jane is here I will not give a hoot how the heck she got here. We have been very lucky so far, so I am thankful.

In the meantime, I'm praying that, by some miracle, my body decides to kick into gear before Sunday and I'll avoid induction altogether. Unlikely, but who knows! I had some extraordinarily good soup for lunch that my friend says is sure to stimulate labour (thanks Karalynn!)... you'll get full credit! :)

Despite all the crappity-crap above, I am SO excited about finally getting to meet our little girl in the next few days. I know it will all be worth it in the end.


Followed later that night (2am is still that night if you ask me, but technically the "next day") by this post:

It's almost 2am on  Friday - what I would consider Thursday night as I've not been to sleep yet. At 10, Dan offered up the one natural inducer I thought might work in hopes of kicking this baby into gear...I think it may have worked!

I've been having painful (not unbearable) contractions for about an hour now, coming 2-3 mins apart and lasting about 1 minute. My back is aching, my mouth is dry, I'm a bit nauseous and I feel like I constantly have to pee.

Scared to get too excited as I don't want to get my hopes up but fingers crossed this is the real thing!

We'll be heading to the hospital soon. Hoping my next update includes pics of my sweet baby girl!

Jen :) 
CRAZY. At that point, the thought of a one year old seemed insanely far away. Time flies. Will write more on Monday post-birthday party craziness. Family flying in tonight - cleaning, cooking and organizing to do.

post signature

1 comment:

Louise said...

So much can change in a year. Happy birthday to your little one - and what a beautiful post :)