Oct 20, 2009

Super Sized

Who's the genius who determines sizing for everything baby?

As with everything, I'm sure there are babies who are 0-3 months old who actually fit in their 0-3 month-sized clothing until they are 3 months. However, this seems to be the exception and not the rule.

Here's the typical sizing
for babies clothes:
Newborn: up to 7 lbs, up to 17"
0-3 months: 7-12 lbs, 17-23"
3-6 months: 12-17 lbs, 23-27"
6-12 months: 17-22 lbs, 27-29"
12-18 months: 22-27 lbs, 29-31"
18-24 months: 27-30 lbs, 31-33"
Here's the sizing for pampers:
Newborn: 7-10 lbs
Size 1: 8-14 lbs
Size 2: 12-18 lbs
Size 3: 16-28 lbs
Size 4: 22-37 lbs
Size 5: 27 lbs+
Size 6: 35 lbs+
Ok, so here's my beef. Jane is 4.5 months old. She wears mostly 6-12 month clothes and she wears size 3 diapers - we are moving her up to 4's after the 3's run out. Jane's in the 90th percentile for height, at 26", so she's tall but she's only in the 75th for weight, at 14 lbs 7oz, so she's not a "big" baby. So, like I said, who's the genius who determines sizing for baby clothes?

It's not that I really care that they've so poorly associated sizes with weights, it's that I find myself completely at a loss when I hit the stores for what size to buy because, if I read the tags, I should be buying her 3-6 month clothes and size 2 diapers... but if I were to actually do this, I'd have to cut the feet out of the jumpers after I clean the poop off them because it's come out of her too-small diaper. I'm also a little grouchy about the fact that, to save money, I bought summer stuff for Jane at the end of this summer for next year... I bought 12-18 months mostly. So, in my attempt to save money, I likely just wasted a bunch. At this rate, she'll be wearing Jimmy Choos by next summer! :p

How the heck would a 28 lb baby fit in a size 3 diaper? Please explain this to me? It'd have to be a baby with a 20 lb head or 10 lb arms.

Had to write this post after I finally took notice of the weight recommendations on my box of size 4 diapers at the grocery store today... 37 lbs, HA, insane.

Jen :)

Vote For Us @ topbabyblogs.com

4 comments:

Lindsay E said...

I hear your frustrations!! I have two kids who seem to follow the guidelines for clothes & diapers quite nicely (if not backwards). My 2.5 year old has been in size 4 diapers for over a year now and finally fits into most 24mo or 2T clothes (for the longest time she was in a size below b/c she is short & skinny).
My 4 month old is still in size 2diaper's (he's a week younger than Jane) and fits 3-6mo clothes with room (though he has a long torso, so some onsies are getting tight).
I feel for you though!
the worst is that every store has different sizing for their clothes! IMO, Gymboree fits HUGE while Children's Place is more "true" to size.
Oh, and I never bought clothes for the next season when they were on sale cause the growth that happens in the first 2 years is HUGE!

Angelene said...

I tuned into your comment on the poop exploding out of diapers... am I putting Abby in diapers that are too small? She's still in size one Pampers, but honestly the poop up the back and on the shirt seems to be a daily occurrence from the very beginning. Hmm?

Gypsy Baby said...

totally agree!!! the bad part is I didn't wash a lot of the 3-6 mo. clothes until Sage was 3 months...so he had already grown out of most of them...I have learned my lesson now.

MommyLydia said...

My 26 months and 3 weeks (wry) old baby is 28 pounds -- and just graduated into size 5 after a YEAR at size 4 (actually, 17 months, he sized into size 4s in June 2008)

By this point, he is also in radically different sizes on top (2T) and bottom (18 months) so those two-piece sets are frustrating!

His 35-pound 26-month cousin is bursting the seams on size 6 diapers.