May 20, 2009

Preparing for Baby #1 - Books

I'm a huge "over-preparer". That's how I stay stress-free, worry-free, cool and calm.

Here are a few things I did to prepare for Baby...I've broken them each up into separate posts, so check back often!

Pregnancy & Baby Books:

I'm not a HUGE fan of reading the books by the "experts" that tell you what to expect and what to do in this situation, that situation, etc. BUT, I did find a series of books that I fell in love with during my pregnancy. Ann Douglas has a series of books, "The Mother of all...", that are AWESOME! They are written for Canadian women which makes a huge difference as you don't end up wasting time reading about American issues such as no maternity-leave but, instead, you learn all about applying for EI, Canadian tax credits, etc. They are quite thick but I literally read both the pregnancy and baby versions within two days.

I would recommend getting the pregnancy version, The Mother of all Pregnancy Books, early in your pregnancy if not before conception. It's got a great section in there on whether your ready for baby, how to get pregnant, etc. If you're already preggers, it would still be a good resource as there's great info on symptoms, possible complications, etc. The reason I enjoyed both these books so much is that they were straight forward, and basically didn't tell you what to do or not to do...they were just filled with useful info that could help you make your own decisions (imagine!!) :) .

Personally, I would buy the baby version, The Mother of all Baby Books, later in your third trimester. Mine is FULL of flags so I can refresh myself on the important "stuff" once baby arrives...plus, there is a great section on baby first aid and common illnesses that I'm sure will ease my mind once baby arrives, gets a cold, and I'm convinced she's got pneumonia or some deadly birth defect! There's also a fabulous chapter on breastfeeding, which is such a priority to me and also one of my biggest concerns. I hear a lot about women having trouble with proper latching, milk supply, when to pump, nipple confusion, etc. So I'm really focused on learning as much as I can about doing the best you can to make it successful. I'll keep y'all posted on how it goes for me and what worked for me.

I've included a "widget" on the right hand side of the page that directly links you to amazon.ca to have a look at both of these books. I looked at a few others, including the "what to expect..." series, "Babies for Dummies", "The Baby Whisperer", etc. but didn't find them as interesting and useful as the Ann Douglas books.

Jen :)

Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory


No comments: