Sep 25, 2009

Fears of the Flu

Ok ladies, break out your Purrell... it's supposed to be a nasty flu season. If I wasn't a purse-packing-purrell-addict before, I'm converted now!

Apparently, H1N1 is supposed to wreak havoc this fall and, I gotta say, it scares the hell outta me. I'm not usually one to worry about this kind of "nonsense" but things have changed... I'm not worrying about me anymore, I'm worrying about my little ladybug!

I know down in the US they are recommending children older than 6 months get vaccinated for H1N1... God, it's scary from all sides! Do you leave your baby unvaccinated and risk the swine flu or do you vaccinate them with what seems to be a "thrown together" vaccine? I heard on the Today show Tuesday morning that the H1N1 vaccine is much like the other flu vaccine and considered very safe... but I always worry. In Canada, I haven't even heard what the plan is, if any, on vaccinations. Obviously Jane doesn't qualify as she is too young but I would assume this doesn't mean she's not at high risk, just too young for the studies. On the other side, it seems those who have reacted most severely to the swine flu are in their 20s. As a 26 year old new Mom, it makes me nervous as I know my immune system can't be working at 100% - I'm exhausted half the time from less than sufficient amounts of sleep.

I'm not writing this post to scare you - that's just stupid. However, I think we should be aware of what's going on and prepare as best as possible. I know, as usual, I'll be getting the regular flu shot this fall. I also found some tips on Dr. Oz's website about Swine Flu Prevention that seems pretty simple and non-Fox-the-world-is-going-to-end-esque. One thing Dan and I have done that's pretty simple is put a bottle of hand sanitizer by the front door. Seeing as I'm not really out and about that often with Jane, our biggest risk is that Dan or a visitor will bring home the virus... so, we figure, if they disinfect before they come into contact with Jane or I that's a good start.

I have found myself worrying about bringing Jane to social things where there will be a lot of people around or a lot of kids... I know it seems insane but I just can't imagine having her get sick, and die at the thought of her getting really sick! I know I can't keep her in a bubble all Fall but why can't I keep her in the house? ha ha ha. Obviously, I'm not totally serious and life will have to continue but as if a Mom's worries weren't bad enough... now you're throwing in deadly flu viruses. Awesome.

Thoughts? Any medical profs out there who want to share their recommendations?

Jen :)

Vote For Us @ topbabyblogs.com

3 comments:

Mama Kayla said...

:-/ I'm freaking out too. And I am even more freaked out because I have clinicals in the hospital!

I can't think of a better place or a virus to hang out other than the hospital.

I'm definitely getting Story vaccinated just because of the fact that I'm more likely to get it than others.

Jessica said...

Hi Jen - we talked about this in my prenatal class last night. Pregnant women and young parents are recommended to get the flu shot and the H1N1 vacine. Like you said it mostly affects people in their 20's so by parents getting the shot that is the best way to protect the babies. This is Canadian information, and the vaccines will be available in November apparently.

Jennifer said...

I am totally with you on how panicked you feel about the darn flu. I feel like I need to take my 4 mo old and go underground =) But since that is obviously not going to happen I'm just planning on keeping him away from kids that are going to school/daycare. It seems doable since I have no other children and I stay at home but on the other hand EEK! Are we going to be stuck at home ALL of flu season? I want to get the shot but I'm nervous because it's new...ya know? I think I am for sure NOT getting my baby vaccinated when he turns 6 mo. I'm just not certain of the side effects and it seems the people making it aren't too sure either. Sorry I know this was WAY long but I needed to vent about how worried I am about the flu.