Apr 23, 2012

not wishing my time away... mostly

I have a lot of friends who are having babies right now... and, by that, I mean now or in the next six months. It's all really the same (except when you're comparing waistlines, then weeks matter). :p

The excitement of hearing the news of a new arrival or reading updates on someones Facebook page is making me wish away my time... a little bit. It's not that I want the next three months to go by quickly. TRUST ME. This is baby number two. I KNOW how much I should appreciate this time - like, right this second - where I have time to myself, I'm not exhausted, my stomach is tight (ha ha ha, doesn't matter that the reason is a 2 lb baby with a 15 lb uterus :p It's the tightest my abs have ever been!). But, I am so excited for the waiting. The not knowing when it will happen. The chance that it might today. The over-reacting and reading too much into every little contraction. The anticipation.

For those of you who didn't follow me with pregnancy number one... I got grumpy. HA. Maybe, a little, teeny bit of an understatement. I swore I wouldn't get grumpy... I also swore I would never be one of those gross woman on TLC's Baby Story who makes labour sound like an intense orgasm but I failed that mission too (ask my neighbours who had to watch and listen to me pant and whine my way up and down the street while I yelled profanities at my husband). I was a week late, scheduled to be induced and SUPER not happy about it. Sure enough, in the way that it does sometimes, life gave me a slap on the ass and said... "oh, you want your natural labour do ya? Sure. Here it is bitch!". I went into labour the same day that I had a doctors appt where the doc basically said "your baby ain't coming out anytime soon, we're gonna have to induce you..." Well. That just wasn't going to work for me. I ate too much. I ate spicy food. I ate sweet food. I went for a "run" (RUN FOR YOUR LIVES... envision that scene from Jurassic Park where all you see is the pissed off Tyranosaurus in the rear view mirror - crap I was really hoping I could spell that right on my own - Tyranasaurus. Nope. Wait a second. There's no spelling suggestion. WTF? How is Tyrannosaurus AHHHH, there it is, two "n's". NM. I FORCED my husband to have sex with me. This sounds like insanity. Especially if you're a man - to force a man to have sex sounds like forcing a man to eat a Big Mac. But, having sex with a 41 week pregnant woman... it's really only for those with severely screwed up fetishes. And, come midnight, that same day (well, I guess it was "technically" the next day being that it was midnight but I don't subscribe to that line of thinking... if I haven't slept yet, it's still the same day) - anyways, there I was, awake. Alone. In the bath... thinking... hmm... this is different... is this labour???... no... I don't know... it doesn't hurt that bad... I'll wait and see. An hour later, I woke up Dan. An hour later, we woke up Mom. And, for those of you who haven't had your first child yet - everything they tell you about labour - like come to the hospital when your contractions are lasting one minute and four minutes apart or some crap... um. I hate to break it to you. That's BS. My contractions started that way. I actually thought "this ain't that bad... what's everyone bitching about". Um. Yeah. Like 12 hours later, life slapped my ass again and said "here it is bitch" and I all but crawled into L&D, screeching like a Kardashian who lost an earring.

But. The excitement. The anticipation (after they gave me my epidural). Was FANTASTIC! I can't wait for that feeling again. They say when you get married it sucks a little bit because you know you will never experience that excitement of falling in love again or starting a new relationship - actually, they, is me. But, most people get that. It's not a bad thing but it's a little crappy... unless, you're like me, and planning your next wedding with an 80's theme. It will be awesome. Groom to be determined... tee hee hee. Just kidding. No one but my hubby could put up with me. Seriously. Ok, back on track. They lie. The excitement of child birth is in the falling in love again - but so much more, times a bazillion bazillion bazillionth and more.

As much as I'm looking forward to that excitement, I'm also looking forward to the lead-up... I'm pretty much taking a month off work before I'm due. I've saved all my vacay time to use in July and, so, I'm stopping work the end of June and not due until the 26th. Woot woot. Now, this is where life will slap me in the ass and bring the baby on like 3 weeks early - which would be great, yes - but would also take away the valuable couch time I planned on coveting before baby number two's arrival.

Life is what's happening while you're planning it...

I've had a lot of friends get put off work early lately too - on the days when my back hurts, I'm exhausted and I'm sick of squeezing into uncomfortable work clothes, this seems like a blessing. Then, I realize, I'd go insane. So, please let this not be the case for me... everything seems to be going well so far, so fingers crossed. Normally, with your second pregnancy, you might have some indication of whether this might happen to you - based on your first pregnancy experience. But, I was put off work at 25 weeks with my first pregnancy because I was laid off... so it wasn't really an issue. I had no other kids. I had no car. I was basically on bed-rest! :p

I'm excited to see my ob/gyn on Thursday - partly hoping she'll put my mind at ease about this stupid rash - mostly because that step, the next step of being bumped to the ob/gyn stage - means I'm getting there! Oh, and FYI, if you want to feel good about yourself and SKINNY MINNY, pop by the PNC (prenatal care) department when you're only 26 weeks preggers. ha ha ha. It was like being a supermodel in a room full of normal people... don't bother telling me. I know I will regret that statement in 10 weeks, when I'm one of the giant woman who was waddling through the hallways. But, right now, I'm gonna enjoy it! :p The ONLY place a pregnant woman can feel small is in a room full of woman MORE pregnant than she is. It was fantastic.

Ok, I'm off to get my unnecessary pre-bedtime snack. Nighty night girlies!

No comments: