Apr 1, 2010

I've Got a Little Granola in Me

Ok. So, since Jane's been born, I'll admit that I'm about 10x more "granola" than I ever thought I would be.

First, I switched to organic food, then I started using all natural cleaners, then I started using all natural skin care products, then I started making my own cleaners and now, hold on to your burkenstocks (it makes me feel good that I don't even know how to spell this), I have made my own laundry detergent!


I found
this recipe online when I was pregnant and was definitely intrigued... although it took me 9 months to give it a shot. Regardless, because I am short on time and just plain lazy today, I thought, instead of writing a post with actual content, I would just share this recipe with you and tell you that it's AWESOME! It smells awesome, it works awesome, it's super cheap and BONUS I can use it on both my own clothes and Jane's!

Here's the
Homemade Laundry Detergent Recipe:

1/2 bar of soap (apparently Fels Naptha is the best but I can't find that in Canada) - I used Sunlight Laundry Soap

1 cup Borax

1 cup Arm & Hammer Washing Soda (this stuff smell awesome - so fresh)


(1) Grate a half bar of soap into a bowl using a cheese grater
(2) Put the soap in the food processor and grate until fairly fine

(3) Mix with Borax and Washing Soda
(4) That's it! Use an old coffee scoop and use 2 tbsps (scoops) per load.


You can find Sunlight laundry soap ($2), Borax ($5) and Washing Soda ($5) in the laundry aisle (usually hidden on the bottom shelf). All prices are Canadian obviously because I live in Canada... everything's likely cheaper if you're in the US. :)


Using a little math, I figured out that for $16 (I bought a few extra bars of soap), I have enough laundry detergent for 240 loads of laundry... which is pretty insane. Again (using that math stuff), I worked out the average cost per load of your regular detergent and the cost per load of this homemade stuff and it was more than half the cost. Seeing as the average new Mom does something like 360 loads of laundry in a year, half the cost is definitely a penny-saver!


Like I said, the best thing about this recipe is that I can use the same detergent on all of our clothes - even with Jane's super sensitive skin! I love the smell too. Between the sunlight soap and the washing soda, our clothes smell really fresh vs. perfumey (from our usual Gain detergent).


The recipe is super easy to make. I thought it was going to be a big process but it literally took me 5 minutes. I put my detergent in snap-top ziploc containers from the dollar store.


So, yeah. I've got a little granola in me... and I'm darn proud!


If you didn't check it out before, here's the recipe I use for homemade all purpose cleaner - that I'm also in love with! I stole it from my one of my fav blogging buddies, Ange's site - Swell Little Life. Check her out - her healthiness is inspiring!

Happy Thursday.

Oh, FYI... this is not an April Fools post. I really do make my own laundry detergent! :p

Don't forget to check out our Mini Diaper Bag Giveaway! Genius idea!

post signature


Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

6 comments:

Ange said...

Thanks so much for the link up my friend!!

And you know I'm super excited to make up a batch of this - too cool! I love the way your brain works - breaking down the cost per use!!

Anonymous said...

Ty for the cool recipe! Can not wait to try it!

I just stumbled across your blog and now I am a follower I hope you dont mind.

I wanted to invite you to chck out my site for moms, moms to be and moms ttc.
It is chatterscene.com

Unknown said...

I never really considered making my own laundry detergent...does it suds a lot? Do you know if it would work in a HE front loader? Sorry for all the questions.
amber :)

Jen said...

Hey Amber,
It doesn't suds any more than regular detergent. Honestly, do you use oxyclean? You know how it turns the water white... that's what it does.

Re: HE washer - no clue. I tried to look through the comments on the recipe but didn't see anything right away.

I don't know much about HE washers so I'd hate to recommend it :)

Jen

MaggieK said...

cool recipe - with my four year old I wasn't so into this, but for some reason with the baby I am...we are making baby food and will be using natural cleaning products. I will try this recipe for sure.

~*Cee*~ said...

I made your laundry detergent last weekend--and have used it on everything...baby clothes, sweaty baseball gear, linens and towels...it's AWESOME (said in a sing-songy voice)!!!
My only question is: what do you use in your dryer? I'm not a fan of liquid fabric softener and the dryer sheets can kill birdies (I heard). One of those new fangled dryer bars? The one that lasts 4 months or something?
BTW, totally love your blog!!