Mar 25, 2010

Guest Post: Doggie Advice

Somewhere between getting pregnant and my 30th week-ish, my dog, Molly, turned from my "baby" into my dog (see Neglect and Skinny Bitch :p). Big difference. It was about this time that I started preparing my DOG for the upcoming transition. Step #1 - kicked out of the bed and off the bed. Yes, my dog used to sleep with us in the bed (she's like 6 lbs and most of that is hair). She was also allowed to jump up on the bed (couch and so on) at will. It only took about 2-3 weeks for her to be totally broken of this habit. Thankfully, Molly had always been crate-trained, so she was used to going in "her house" at times, which definitely made it easier. She's so eager to go in her house now (because of the treat she gets at bedtime) that she'll run upstairs anytime you get off the couch at night, just in case it's bedtime (which would have been cute a year ago but now is just annoying).

I have always been super aware of the fact that dogs are animals. Sometimes, people forget this. Dogs are not only animals, they are pack animals... so when your baby arrives, to your dog, it's just another member of the pack (and since your baby is a newbie, your dog thinks it's higher on the totem pole). I hope everyone has the sense to NEVER trust their dog with their baby. Molly has never ever shown aggression towards anything. I trust her 95%. The 5% is not worth it. Just like my post last week, Lesson Learned, that "one time" is not worth it. I plan on teaching Jane to appreciate animals but also to be cautious and never to approach animals on her own.

I was recently contacted by a company called Dog Fence DIY about doing a guest post. Initially, I thought, ahhhh... what? But then I remembered how many Moms-to-be have dogs and how important it is to prepare before your babe arrives. Thankfully, their staff veterinarian, Dr. Susan Wright (a vet and a Mom) wrote a post on her advice for preparing for baby when you have a dog... check it out:

I was a dog owner before I was a vet, and I was both before I became a mom. I was never going to give up my dogs when I had my first child, so I had to make sure they would adapt well to our new family member. Fortunately, my dogs were very welcoming of my daughter, and we had no problems. How did I do this?

I was a dog owner before I was a vet, and I was both before I became a mom. I was never going to give up my dogs when I had my first child, so I had to make sure they would adapt well to our new family member. Fortunately, my dogs were very welcoming of my daughter, and we had no problems. How did I do this?

Firstly, my dogs were both obedience trained before I fell pregnant and they also had been taught not to jump up on me. They were also crate trained. This made life so much easier for me after the birth, because I could send them to their mat or tell them to sit when I needed them to, and they did as they were told. If your dog has had no training, start now. If he is quite well behaved, give him a refresher course just to remind him of what’s expected of him.

My dogs used to sleep in my bedroom with me. I made a bed for them in another part of the house well before my baby arrived. This way they wouldn’t associate the arrival of the baby with them being shut out of my room, and they’d be less likely to be jealous. It is important to set up your boundaries for your dog before your baby arrives.

I also made sure my dogs were familiar with youngsters, by deliberately introducing them to my friend’s children. I gave the children some liver treats for my dogs, so the dogs would associate young people with rewards, and look forward to seeing them.

When I had our daughter, my husband brought home one of her wraps for our dogs to sniff, before she came home from hospital. That way her scent was no surprise to them.

My daughter was an active soul, and used to love to lie on the floor and kick. It’s fine to let your dog sniff your baby, but never turn your back on them. Accidents happen in the blink of an eye. Dogs are inherently predators, and a squealing baby can sound like prey. If you need to leave your child on the floor for a moment, put your dog in his crate. It’s not worth the risk.

Babies don’t lie still for long, and when your child becomes mobile, it is a whole new kettle of fish. Keep your dog toys off the floor. Your dog may become possessive and snap if your child wants to play with them.

Your child will probably want to splash in your dog’s water. This might not seem very hygienic to you, but is unlikely to cause any health problems for your child. In fact, children raised with dogs often have fewer allergies as they grow up.

Your dog’s crate will allow him to get away from your child when he needs some down time. As your child grows up, teach her that when the dog is in the crate, she is not to disturb him.

This may sound like an awful lot of work. It does take some effort, but that effort pays off tenfold. My daughter is now ten and has a dog of her own. We have never had any aggression issues with the dogs and our children. In fact, they both want to be veterinarians too!

*This guest post is brought especially to you by Dog Fence DIY's staff veterinarian Dr. Susan Wright. Dog Fence DIY carries the Innotek SD 2100 at the best available price. Dog Fence DIY is the leader in finding the perfect system for you and your pet. For more dog fence information see here.

post signature


Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

No comments: