Oct 29, 2009

Bring It On Boys!

I was out for my walk with Janey and had the funniest thing happen to me...

We live in an area with a lot of new construction, so there's never a shortage of slightly over-weight men in trucks. As I pushed Jane along today, two trucks passed me from behind. I glanced at the first and the driver, still wearing his hard hat, waved at me. Immediately behind him, in the second truck, a chubby man in a plaid shirt says "how YOU doin'". My initial reaction was a look of disgust, I mean YUCK, I hate it when men cat-call... and how stereotypical that it be two construction workers?!?! THEN, and within milliseconds, I started smiling, like huge smiling. WOOHOOO!!! I just had a baby 5 months ago... BRING IT ON BOYS! Beggers can't be choosers! I never thought the day would come that I would not only appreciate, but crave, the typically unwanted attention of construction workers! ha ha ha. Maybe I'll start wearing something sexy for 'um. ha ha ha.

Part of the reason this makes me so happy is that, kill me for saying it, but I half-believed my days of cat-calls and double-takes were over now that I'm a Mom. I don't know why... but I definitely didn't think I'd be getting hoots and hollers while pushing a stroller! YIPEE! I'll take it! :p

I've never been one to really put too much focus on my appearance. I take care of myself - workout, wear makeup when I'm leaving the house, etc. But I'm a jeans-n-t-shirt-pony-tail kind of gal. I can put on a good show every once in awhile - straighten my hair, put on eyeliner, a cute outfit - but I save that for rare occasions. If I did it every day it wouldn't be appreciated! :p This hasn't changed since Jane was born and has likely gotten "worse" in that I, even more rarely, have those "show" days. It's not that I don't have the time to do my hair and get dressed up. It's just that, if I'm given that spare hour, I'd rather be doing something else for me... get a bath, get a massage, go shopping, relax. I really don't want to spend it in front of the mirror, working! I especially don't want to waste it doing my hair as it's going back in a pony tail regardless of how "pretty it looks down"... I've got bald spots where Jane has grabbed onto and not let go of sections of my hair.

So, it made my day today, that I, in workout clothes, a pony tail, and make-up-less, got hollered at! In fact, it surprised me so much that, for a few seconds afterward, I worried that there was something on my butt or something funny that made them yell at me. But I was clear, it was just me. :D

Wishing you all some cat-calls and double takes,

Jen :)


Vote For Us @ TopBaby Blogs! The Best Baby Blog Directory

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha great post! Your cat-calling days are SO not over! You are one yummy mommy (Nancy too!) and I don't think that's going to change anytime soon!

Jen T

Unknown said...

I love it....and totally agreed...i don't think your "royal hotness" status has changed one bit! If any thing it may has grown especially with Bessie and Bertha girl!!! Enjoy every minute! Loves xox

MommyBrain said...

You go, girl! Must admit, my first reaction was ... I bet she had something on her backside ... that's what I would've thought if the calls had happened to me. Or maybe my right boob was hanging out of my nursing tank (I did a lot of walking in the warm summer months) ... I'd always guess embarrassment over flattery ... how pathetic is that? ;)

Seems your sexy is back!